Monday, May 24, 2010

Fridge Trim

I worked a little last weekend on the gooseneck molding for the top of the fridge. It all starts with a couple pieces of popular that have been flush cut to a pattern on the router table.

After this I set up my router to act like a "pin router". This means that there is a ball bearing on the top that my piece runs against. You can see in this picture the ball bearing for the pin router as well as the 2" ball router bit. I have done one pass when this picture was taken.

The bit is moved up over the course of multiple passes. Eventually a 1" radius cove is formed. This is them cut on the back side to the correct height for the molding. Here is a picture of the two finished profiles before glue up and alignment of the back.


Glue up of the molding pieces.


This is what it will look like on the final piece. Obviously the back has not been trimmed and the ends have not been mitered up yet. But, getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment